It is the obvious which is so difficult to see most of the time. People say 'It's as plain as the nose on your face.' But how much of the nose on your face can you see, unless someone holds a mirror up to you?
Mirror, mirror, on the wall.
Shovel The Sidewalk is your mirror. It’s tough to diligently observe the business when you’re in it. You may already know the answers to solving any problems we identify as outsiders, but many problems go unidentified and unsolved and cost small businesses big money. We observe, we listen and we give our opinion. Ultimately we help you make better decisions and create better strategies.
These are some of the fundamental common sense principles we discuss with our clients:
- Get back to the basics. Everyone occasionally needs to be reminded of the obvious, to review the fundamentals of business blocking and tackling.
- The message is more important than how, where and to whom it’s delivered.
- Don’t wing it. Have a strategy.
- Make sure everyone internally understands the brand message. Empowered employees can be your best brand ambassadors.
- Avoid “yes men”.
- Focus on what you’re good at. Find someone else to do the rest.
- Treat people in business like people.
- Treat customers and clients like people. Follow up. Do what you say you will do.
- Understand how your brand is perceived by customers